Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Cerebral Palsy Party Day 2 : Location (Accessibility)

       
Hay  guys so what   the theme  I  am going to try to keep up with  is  a party theme . Specifically   Children's  Birthday theme.  So  each  day  I will pick a specify aspect then me  relate it  to Cerebral Palsy/ Disabilities.


 Today's   Idem is  Access

          When plaining a party  it is important  to pick where the party will be healed.  A bowling ally, a  bounce house fun zone , art  gallery
 A fun place for a party

  As a person with mild CP,   I have not had to think about access that much because I am able to walk.   When  I started at small religious college  I did have to think about access because there were wooden stair case.  I have no problem going up and down steps;however, I do need to be able to hold onto a rail and with the wooden staircase that meant    risking splinters.  This got me thinking and as I  looked around the campus I noticed how inaccessible  one class building was to students  that use wheelchairs.  One building had narrow hallways and  no elevator. This  would make it hard for students who use wheelchairs to navigate  these hallways successfully.  


 When places are accessible  it allows for all people to  join in the party office school classroom and playground.  It  may cost  money, but the payoffs are wonderful.  At my  jr college,  it is accessible and the  people know how to be inclusive there.  Its like a second home to me.

  Weather can also play a big part  in accessibility.  I  love the snow, but  being from  California I have never had to live in it.   Snow can be difficult in a wheelchair as evident in this story. 
 People should  treat ramps elevators and hand rails with respect because for  people  with Cerebral Palsy and other physical disabilities these tools allow us to be independent.


Tomorrow's topic   is themes.  Wonder how that relates to Cerebral Palsy  tune in tomorrow.  Leave a comment  before you leave though  so I  know that someone is  reading  this.




  PS  please keep my mom  and me  in your thoughts this week as she is going to Mexico  for some spring  fun with her friends . She will be back on Saturday.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Great considerations for the Palsy Party.

I do have problems with inclines, particularly the steep ones, or the ones that look like hills.

I need to see things within my field of vision - and a change is not always good.

Respect for handrails and related equipment would be very important. A high priority.

Single file room is also very important.

Risking splinters! Splinters are very bad for hands and feet especially when you can't get them out.

Elevators/lifts.

I would probably choose a movie theatre because of the floors and carpets, the tiered entry and also the entries and exits are clearly indicated.

[But what about the counters and their tops?]