Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Palsy Party Day Two : Never a good word

 Today is Spread the Word to  End the word.






 The word is Retarded.  It is not a nice word.

 In a US  History class at my private college.  Which  was not inclusive.   My professor used this  word.  My  stomach  dropped.    He said  something about  the fact that   Cotton gin  was not  invented  retarded   the  growth  of cotton.


 Now  you  may be wondering  why this upset me, it still does  because  my reaction to it  was a reason why I was not permitted  to attend  the next year.  First off  the professor  yelled at me  saying it was a fine word to use in that case. Second  the administration  defended him, including the  disability person.

   I am sorry but when is that word ever okey. Why is it that a term that is considered hurtful to  people, children and adults,  ever be okey to use.    If   a student with an intellectual disability  was in the class they may not understand that you were not talking about them.  That is why it is never a  good word to use.

  Please go sign the pledge  and eliminate this dreadful word from your vocabulary.

No comments: