Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Workarounds that worked for me going through school

 So yesterday I talked about how a few weeks ago I got a nickname which is a workaround for my real name.  Going through school there were lots of workarounds that worked.  


 Slant board 

 Image description :A side view of a slant board  facing to the right 


  I used this in early elementary school to help me write.  I did not like  it because I wanted to be like everyone else.   This was an idea of my preschool teacher who helped tutor me.  It was helpful  once I agreed to use it  


  Fischer  Scissors.


  image description:blue scissors on a white background 





  Cutting things and doing art projects is a skill that is a staple in many kindergarten classrooms.  I have Cerebral Palsy and I had some fine motor difficulty which made cutting difficult for my tiny hands to use. My OT recommended   these special scissors that had bigger holes which make cutting easier.  My mom donated  multiple  scissors to my kindergarten class. This made cutting easier for everyone.




Adapted Seating 



 image description a blue classroom chair against a white background 



Due to my Cerebral Palsy,  I had  trouble sitting well. My trunk muscles were so weak that it was easier for me  to put my feet up near my chest which did not make for great learning posture.    I had an adapted chair from   second to fifth grade. It was  a blue chair with a block on the back with a velcro cushion . 



 Alpha Smart 

 Image Description  A blue keyboard with a tiny green screen.  says AlphaSmart 200 between the screen and keyboard. On a teal background  



When I was in second grade , I moved to the public school so there were more resources to help me access the general education curriculum.   One was an Alpha Smart.  I am sure that many  disabled students  remember these word processors .  I had one in second grade. This helped me type my spelling words and  write stories. Nowadays   Ipads and tablets can do far more cool things than my word processor ever could.  I did not like using these  things because I wanted  to be like the other kids.  In third  grade, I got access to the school computer  and by fourth grade  I wanted  to write  and my teacher agreed to let me write.   In middle school, my aide  and I took notes.  In high school I took my own notes.




 Pulse Pen 



 Image Description. A black pen pointed  on the record button on the paper.  Next to it has  pause and stop, Then it has  jump the other things are  harder to make out.


 In college I used a  Pulse pen to help me take notes. I highly recommend this for students who are auditory learners.  It is better than a tape recorder because  when you touch on a note it actually plays what was said while you are taking notes. I think this assisted me with doing well in college. I  graduated from Community College with honors.


  Sniffle Buddies 


  Image desciption  A blue wristband, On the front it says I'm blank 's buddy.  Then it has the Words Sniffle in green and buddies in blue along with their website  www.snifflebuddies.com


  A cool wristband that helps me manage my drooling.  




 Name Tags 


 A blue name tag that says on top " Hello my name is" and then  there is a place to write your name




  I love name tags because when I meet someone that can't understand my real name I  just showed them my name tag. It is easy and quick.    A few weeks ago someone  gave me the nickname  that I now use to introduce to people. I love my new nickname.




 Do you have any adaptation that you use? Want a more in-depth  description  of an adapted strategy?   Leave a comment below.




 Got images from

Slant board: http://www.sgwoodworksllc.com/Incline_Board.JPG
Fiscar scisssors https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/515%2BQfIJsqL._SL1000_.jpg
 Blue chair :http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/NationalBusinessFurniture/51239_0?hei=325
Alpha Smart http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAyWDEwMjQ=/z/yq8AAMXQ74JTUAWT/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F
Pulse Pen image https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41N8dbsDUHL._SY300_.jpg
Sniffle Buddies http://www.childrite.com/media/Sniffle_powderblue.jpg


No comments: