Wednesday, December 4, 2013

When Universities are not inclusive

  So  last post  did not get any  comments but I  did  post a question.  
 The  inaccessible
 staircase
 that leads to campus.  I do not  take this
 often.
 I  go  where the cars
go.




        My  university is completely inaccessible.  Walking  up to  the  campus  from  the street,  I   take the bus  because I live at home with my parents,  You  are met with a wooden   staircase.    You  know the  wood  that cause  you to have  splinters if  you  need to  use the rail due to  compormised   balance.       
  There  are only two people that I have seen  that use  wheelchairs  and  I am not surprised because there is  one  building  that holds classes    does not have a elevator.


 Why  am  I  telling you this , well this is the scene  of my college  and their  view of  disabled  people.   This  is where  I have been attending for the  past  week and although I   do not need an elevator   I still have a major  disability.  I  have CP   NLD and  OCD.

   *  I have had  teachers  that do not  get it. 

*  I had a professor   make jokes about my  hats and then  when  I explain  the fact that I can not do  my hair because of  Cerebral  Palsy.   He says  whatever
 A sad day at school.    This was taken  in the
 beginning of October
:however things never improved  they got worse

 *  I have  had an  Linguistic teacher   say  blanket statements    such as  " Everyone learns  language without direct instruction,  which   invalidates   my experience,

*   I have  had a professor    defend  the use of  the word  cripple.  She  is not  a  crip   thats  my  word to defend.

*  I have had a  professor  use the R word and  then   scold  me  when   I  bring  it to his attention.

*  I have had a professor   not  understand  why   reading   Beowulf  and  Canterbury  Tails   ( Click on  each one to hear  how its pronounced )  out loud    seem  like cruel and  unusual  punishment   for someone who  struggles to speak  modarn    english.

 *   I  have had   a professor   force me to take a test that I was not  prepared  for.


 The last  one  was the  straw that broke   my  back.  i have  no  intention  of  going back this semester     Its   gotten  too the point where I do not want to  be a teacher anymore.    




 So what  happens  when  schools   are not inculsive  


    One of the few fun times that   I  had  in University was
 an activity  on campus.   
 " IT MAKES  DISABLED  STUDENTS  FEEL  LIKE THEY ARE AFTERTHOUGHTS.   IT MAKES US  GIVE UP ON OURSELVES AND   LIVE UP  TO SOCIETAL EXPECTATIONS,   IE SHELTER  WORKSHOPS,    IT  MAKES US  DEPRESSED AND UNSURE OF  OUR  FUTURE." 









2 comments:

K said...

AZ, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time in college. :( It really is frustrating when people don't understand, and I know where you're coming from because I've had to deal with some of those issues as well, although not to the extent that you've experienced them. Please know that you are making a difference with your words; thank you for speaking up. I hope that things go better for you soon!! You are such a strong person. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

severity said...

Hi AZ, it is frustrating to read about the difficult time you are having at school. I think more than anything, I worry that the difficulties you're facing might deter you from continuing with your studies. I can't possibly understand how you're feeling, but I do want you to know that I feel very proud reading about how you advocate for yourself. I hope you stay positive and keep up the good work.

~Sarah

P.S. sorry I didn't make it online last night to post this comment! :-)