Monday, April 4, 2011

stareing

 please  comment before you leave   
For the longest time I did not see other  stares.  I think this is do to my  nld but my sisters  and parents  notice staring  and if  it  caused  on my offense, such as an outburst which I still have  on occasion, they are  quick to  tell me. last week;however, I noticed staring  two times.

   It started  when an  autistic man  was   acting out at my special Olympics   track practice. There were a group of kids  just  gawking at him and  I told  the  girls that it is not  polite to stare  i do not think  they  understood  me (no  ST  for me yet) but the  coaches  of the soccer team  focused them  back up again and i had to get back to practice.
 Then on Friday  when  I was having a sandwich at this  place near my house.   A  kid was  just  staring at me.  I would  have to guess he  was about ten  years old.    I gave him  a look that told him to leave me be and he did  but then  I wonder  did  I do the right thing? Should  I have told him about Cerebral Palsy and answer  some of his  questions?  I think  I was  taken aback because   up until this  point   I had not recognize staring.  What would you  have done ?


got image  from

http://us.cdn2.123rf.com/168nwm/adamson/adamson1102/adamson110200018.jpg

7 comments:

Amy said...

That's a tough one...it's different when it's kids staring than when it's adults. Sometimes when I notice kids staring at my daughter, I will just smile at them. It lets them know I've seen them and it's okay for them to be curious. You can also practice some lines so you're ready with them when you see someone staring - I always think of the best things to say afterwards, but if I practice, I'm ready for it.

severity said...

I like how Ellen, the author of "Love That Max" responds...have you seen one of her posts that addresses situations like this?

Kristie said...

I have CP,and my mom says I first asked her why people stare at me when I was two. When adults do it I catch their eye and smile. If kids do it I usually ask if they're curious about my walker...The explanation varies depending on there age and what they say

Mo said...

Do what you have to do to make a stand for yourself. I agree though that a look and great big ol' smile breaks any stare from a stranger. That always works when someone is looking at my daughter.

Tooner said...

I had this happen to me last week too! And I told the person that I work here and I have a job and if she could please stop staring at me. She didn't lislten but the whole point is that I told her. I have a disability too; I have CP Too.

Heather Landry said...

My seven year old daughter has CP. She's very verbal and it's a mild case. She hasn't noticed the staring yet but I have. I'm always really friendly to children who stare at her and I answer any questions they have. I'm a little less tolerant of adults who do so as they should KNOW better. I tend to change my position and stand in between her and the person who is staring. I'm not looking forward to her realizing why they stare. She doesn't think of herself as disabled and neither do I!

Laura Gilmour said...

I am very open about having Asperger's Syndrome and enjoy having the chance to educate others. However if someone is being abusive rather than curious, it is time to remove myself from the situation rather than be an educator. A few years ago, I had a group of children in a local park ask me to play with them. I played with them, thinking I was being nice, but realized they were modifying the game for me due to the fact I was having trouble climbing the structures and keeping up with them. I also have coordination difficulties. They started asking me questions and I answered them honestly. I also took the time to explain how learning disabilities and coordination problems are different from global cognitive disabilities (not that I would insult anyone with below average intelligence because some of my friends have intellectual disabilities, but their learning needs are different than what mine would be). One of them even confided in me that she was sometimes bullied for her Muslim clothing. It was an oppertunity to educate and to learn from them.