Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Raiseing a disabled child is sometimes easier than rasing a adverage child

My mom   my sisters and  me spring 2005

1   I do not need a curfew.  I do not go out that much and if  I  do  its with my parents  so  they do not need  to stay up worrying  when I will be home  on weekends. 

2  There are a lot of people that have helped me  over the years. OT  Therapist PT ST they  have wondered though my life  helping me and  my parents. 

3 Most of the  things I do outside of  the home are  supervised  thus  they  do not have to worry.

4    Sometimes  my sisters tend to think that they  know everything.  I know  I  don't.
 
5 I have never been  to  a house party therefore  I  have never   been around  drugs  

 6 I have  yet to have a boyfriend  so    my dad does not have to worry.
 
 Got  any other ideas? I  want to hear  them  comment below 

3 comments:

Amy said...

You know, I want to have to worry about some of these things. If I have to facilitate some of these experiences for Emma, I will (not exposure to drugs, though!). I want her to have a boyfriend, and to go out without me, even if it makes me worry.

How could your family help you make some of these experiences possible?

Amy said...

Hey there AZ. My name is Amy, like the mom who posted above, and I too have a daughter named Emma. My Emma is 8 years old, and she has CP too. She has a more involved case than you, as she is affected in all four limbs. She is not intellectually disabled either. She does have some challenges with her speech. While her family understands her (especially her dad and me), others don't understand her as much. She knows that too, so she is shy around others. Social challenges are the hardest for us too. I try really hard to help her make friends with kids who aren't disabled, but they don't always understand. Most people assume that Emma is intellectually diabled because of her lack of mobility and impaired speech. I loved your videos below, especially the one you did about CP awareness and what it is like to have CP.

You are a beautiful young woman, and you are so inspiring. I cannot wait to show my Emma your blog. Oh, I found your blog because I see your comments oftn on Love That Max. You always have wonderful insight and perspective.

I will try to keep up with your blog as much as possible.

Sorry for the long comment. Just had to let you know how great I think you are.

As for my thoughts about the above, I find that my Emma works harder than most kids her age to accomplish things. I rarely have to fight or argue with her to get her to do her homework or school work or exercises. That is not always the case with other kids.

Jan said...

I was surprised to read you have never had a boyfriend because you are so pretty. Now that you're in college, I'm sure you will be meeting more people and it's a matter of time!