Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Past people that helped me get An A

               So this   is  one, of two essays, that I  aced  for American Literature.   I got an   A-,  although  I did all the work   a lot of  people  helped  me     get this  A   lets   take a  look

            Parents

 My Parents and me 
            Shortly after I was  born , I was introduced to the  world   of  words though Good night moon.   I have a picture  of my  Dad  reading it to me in the hospital  21  years ago, I  know  I am old.    When I came home from the hospital  my parents continued to  read to  me   before  bed.  I had a lot of  books  at home  when  I was  growing up.

  Early intervention/ Pre school


        I went   to a family  support program at SF State.  They  provided  my  tiny  body with lots of stimulation  so  I would be  as  indepent as possible.  I had trouble  talking  so they  taught me ASL  so  I could  communicate with the world.   I  was beginning to have control over my  environment.


 When I went to pre school  my teachers  taught me the  ABC's and  how to use the computer. They continued to work on my speech  and  pretty soon  I was  talking in  full sentences .  I  needed to understand   how to use sentences  in order to write them for the essay.


    Pre-K

 
First year of inclusive  education.     The  teachers helped me with the basics  so  I would be ready for kindergaten.     All of  this  was done at a  private non  special  needs  school.    This  was   private  school inclusion.


Circle Time 
  Kindergaten
       I  get to learn  phonics and  letters with  fellow kindergartners.  I also learn how to  type.  This  was a typed  essay.

 First grade
   Kept on learning    no highlights  here  except that I got diagnosed with  NLD in edition to CP.

 Second  Grade

  Writer work shop  learned how to organize  thoughts   in a way that formed.  Plus  it was  fun  I was able to put my active imagination to work.

    
  Fourth   grade
 My teacher  forced   insisted  that I  begin doing my own homework  independently. I also  learned about spell  check

             Fifth   grade

 Don't bother me when I am writing  

     Leaned all about writhing essays.  Those classic  five paragraph  papers.


   Middle school

       Started analyzing stories looking for themes and foreshowding.

  High School


  Leaned how to integrate quotes, Leaned different ways to start a  sentience 

    College
  college I would learn   about  noun prase appositives and   critical thinking and analyzation skills.



  All these  things helped  me   get an A  in  American Literature  .   All these people  believed that I was  capable   of learning and  gave  me  a chance to try. If  any of these  people  had    thought  " Hay, this  girl  is disabled and  does not act right   she  can not learn  any of this  then It would have  been a lot harder on my current  teacher to  give me the skills   so that I could   be ready  to learn, which  would latter lead to  an  A.


   Most of  my   writing skills  I  learned alongside  able bodyied peers.  If any of my teachers  OT, PT's,ST's, aides  etc     are reading this  thank you for  helping me learn alongside my  peers. I  know I was not the   easyiest   student to teach but  I   got something out of  it Feel Free to leave a comment  thanks    You guys are Amazing  and have helped me realize my abilities.






Stumbo Family Story


7 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Congratulations!

One other thing which might have helped your teachers (in adapting and modifying material) would be the Californian Education Standards throughout the years. They are some of the most rigorous in the world. (and certainly in the USA).

Some of the best writing is in sentence fragments and other non-conventional structures.

Five-page or five-paragraph?

And really great teachers appreciate challenges, whether internally or externally imposed.

Some first-graders go through Reading Recovery.

"Reading to learn" and "learning to read" - how did that affect your writing abilities?

"Ready to learn" is something in itself.

I found it interesting you were part of a writer's workshop in second grade. That's a highlight. It's important exercise for an active imagination. (which otherwise might get caught up in loops or get locked up).

AZ Chapman said...

Five paragraph

Adelaide Dupont said...

I thought the five paragraph might be a more common writing practice, unless it was the case you were asked to write one page for your grade, which isn't so unusual.

Anyway, my heart would flutter!

Flipping through Google at the moment, and there are lots of criticisms. For developmental writing, it is terrific (as well as speeches and arguments).

Michelle said...

Congrats on your A! What a great post showcasing all the people involved in your life who helped you achieve in success in school throughout the years!

Unknown said...

AZ,

Someone posted this on my FB page (Think Inclusive) and I would love to re-post it on the website. Would you be opposed to me editing it (cleaning it up) so we could post it or would you prefer to post it as is.

Let me know...I would love to share this story.

Tim Villegas
Think Inclusive
thinkinclusive@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

This is great! As a professional writer and a CP mom, I cannot tell you how awesome I think this is! And I just love that you have even highlighted the different stages of learning how to write a strong essay. Obviously you were paying attention! Way to go, AZ!

Anonymous said...

Hey AZ--I never had you write five paragraph essays! :-) I still remember that paper of yours!

tj