Thursday, February 27, 2014

Able to go to College - Episode 18 : The End of the Year

    After     two  years,  this is the last episode of able to go to college.  you  got to  go  out with a bang  so  this   episode  is really  long.  If  you have   7  mintues   pull up a chair and something to  drink  and hit play,





         


 The  main  reason that I  made  Able to go to College was  back in high school I  was so scared of  college.   I thought college was this big  abyss   and  I knew that I was no where near ready to go. I was  wrong.


    Yeah   College is different than High school  no  doubt about that but  it  not   a scary place.    I  will be honest though  college  poses  new challenges  to students with disabilities.  There are no IEP that  ensure an individualized education, but there is still  help,  The key is  to find the right people.  I  feel  so  blessed  to have been  lucky  enough to  attend my community college.  There  program  is phenomenal   They  did everything in there   power  to make  me successful.  They advocated  for me  and   I  felt that   they   truly  valued   me.


  Were there instances  where  I  felt discriminated against?  Yes.  There  were also processes set up for me to   voice my concerns.  I got along with most professors, in fact  one of them ,Prof D, I  joking call my body gaurd.  Its a   inside  joke  between the two of us,




  Prof D  and  AZ   Summer 2013 


     If you are  reading this and   have a disabilities and want to go to college but may be a little scared.  Don't  be.   Surrond yourself  with  a  group of people that believe in you.   Do not let anyone tell you what  you have to do  when your adult( esp  if  they are not  part of your family).  Never  give up  and  always  Follow your  dreams.      Because you  only have  one life to live.



  Have  questions  feel  free to   ask in the comments or email me

 azchapman1991@gmail.com









1 comment:

K said...

AZ, this is beautiful, especially the last paragraph. I have CP too and, like you, I was worried about college, but it's turned out to be an amazing experience so far. And you're right -- there have been times when I've felt discriminated against, and I deal with some extra challenges because of my disability, but I never regret my decision to attend college. College has allowed me to grow as a person and become more open and independent. I love that you're reaching out to other people with disabilities, and I wish I had read your words of encouragement back when I was getting ready to attend college! Keep on being amazing!