Thursday, August 7, 2008

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM

On Monday I finished Bay cities driving school and was so exacted because I had a blue paper that shows I completed all my days and ready to get a permit. I ran out to the car and got embarrassed by one of Baby's friends who I did not know was in the car. We drooped her off and headed home. On the way home I said that I was sorry to baby to which she said . "It's okay I just tell them You have a problem.'"

I said I don't have a problem she then said the prefix dis means taken away. It dose but I do not have a problem. I tried telling baby that problem has the connotation of needing to be fixed.

Why dose this matter I will tell you all why. My disabilities make me AZ the kid that so many people care about. I am a writer I am a good student and yeah I have disabilities big deal. I wouldn't want to be normal I'd be different person with a completely different personalty.


The world see people with disabilities as a problems. here is why. People use the word retard with out caring. (Go see Jeff blog for more info on this in the media) People abort kids with down syndrome even though they have a lot to give the world . That is why I started blogging and will continue to do so to show people that I have more abilities than disabilities

5 comments:

Stella said...

This is the best post ever!

Yes!

Best. Post. Ever.

Debbie Yost said...

AZ,

This is so well put. Thnk you for sharing it. I hopw you sister and her friends can understand that you disability is not what defines you and is not a problem.

Leslie, Arlin & Katie Kauffman said...

AZ, this is a wonderful post. I *hate* all the labels that people use to describe other people's differences! I don't think a lot of people realize how much these labels can hurt or offend. I'm sure your sister wasn't intentionally trying to hurt you with this label. Good for you for helping all of us understand that we need to look beyond people's differences and celebrate their abilities! We all have differences--some may just be more obvious to the eye than others. But believe me, we ALL have our differences and challenges--that's what makes us human and makes us our own unique self.

Jeff said...

AZ how awesome is that? I can't believe baby would say that...wow.

hugs, and you rock! You deserve to get excited!!

abfh said...

Great post AZ! Keep up the good fight. I also wrote some posts on my blog about why people should not use the word retard:

Whose Planet Is It Anyway?