Thursday, January 29, 2009

School parternship program

Today I got to represent my high school in the first ever special Olympics youth summit for the bay area. I was the only Representative from my high school . The day started out with leadership and what it takes to be a great leader. ( friendly nice lovable were some I remember) . We listened to Soren speech about the dread r word had a scavenger hunt and I got to share about what it's like to have the best of both word: having a disability and being smart, but at the same time being so isolated from my peers at lunch time.

In the end each school got together to make a leadership plain for spreding disability awareness around the school. ( the students were special and typical high school and middle collage students) I was the only one from my high school but after some encouragement came up with some idea. The best one is a disability week ( or day) for the entire student body along with helping at a young athlete day in may.
I had so much fun and met so Meany new people. ( and saw some some b ball friends from HMB). I am exacted to get more people at my high school aware about disability awareness at my high school. I am hoping that students ( and staff )see that we ( disabled individuals) have more ABILITIES then disabilities .
to learn more about the program visit this
website
http://www.specialolympics.org/project_unify.aspx and poke around it is new and improved stick around to here how it goes at my high school.


got pics from http://www.sonc.org/images/getinvolved/SchoolsNC_be-a-fan.jpg http://www.laddc.org/poster-contest/2005/3-tram-le.jpg

6 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Hello, I think that is such a cool thing for you to get to represent your whole school. What an honor. Think how YOU can make such a huge difference.

Keep up the good work.

Kaci and Carson

PS Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog. I will be keeping up on your blog.

Laura said...

Thanks for your sympathies about my grandmother. I saw your response to my post about educational resources and several other posts about education. If you do eventually go to college, I think you could make a lot of differences as either a teacher's aide or special education teacher. If not, I would encourage you to get involved in public speaking about issues involving individuals with disabilities. You have some great ideas there. Sometimes people with disabilities themselves are the best resources to parents and professionals.

CC said...

that is so cool that you got to represent your school!

Justinich Family said...

That is so cool, you will help pave the way for the younger kids with disabilities such as my son with CP who will be entering kindergarten next year, have not yet decided if he will be special ed or regular ed with an aid. What a great thing for you to do.

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

This sounds like a fun day and a great opportunity for you, AZ! Katie will be participating in Special Olympics for the first time this spring. We are so excited!

All 4 My Gals said...

What a great opportunity! You go and help all of us by spreading the word.