Monday, April 13, 2009

Another Poem for the web

(Me in Disneyland next to my beloved childhood movie icon the aliens summer 2006 Princess is next to me )
Do not stereotype me


Just because I’m disabled
I’m not a science fair project so please do not stare.
Ask a question?
I do not mind
And have the time
To spare.
I’m not trying to talk weir d so do not take it as such
And I am not slow hate and I it when people think I am.


Just because I’m disable
I don’t enjoy teasing or bullying so think before you speak
I’m not a product of an accident that should not have been here
I don’t just wonder around aimlessly
And I don’t know any one with a disability who dose.

Just because I’m disabled
I’m not a baby even if I wish I were on hard days
I don’t have a sickness or illness
And I don’t plan to be a burden to my society my whole life.
In fact I want to enrich my community

Just because I’m disabled
Don’t me that you are more perfect then me
Smarter then me

5 comments:

Kelly Zimm said...

Very nice! Great job!

Ellen said...

AZ, that poem says so much; it is very powerful. Nicely done.

Laura said...

I think this poem explains the thoughts and feelings of many individuals with disabilities. For instance, I am always open to questions for those interested in learning about Asperger syndrome, but I do not want nasty comments.

Laura said...

I have one question. You said that you play basketball and team sports. I have always found that due to my perceptual difficulties with objects in space, I get frightened of where the ball is and cover my head even if it's nowhere near me. I also tend to bang into people when running in a room full of people. Sensory issues with noise also affect me whenever I played team sports in gym back in school. Have you experienced any of this? I know everyone with NLD is different. I have taught myself individual physical activities such as simple trampoline moves and inline skating and am able to develop and improve on them.

AZ Chapman said...

HAY LAURA I will do a post about this soon