Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cerebral Palsy is not hopeless

        I have many  memories  of  watching  60 minutes .  It has been  a tradition that    has    been    happening for a long time in  my household . I loved seeing Andy Rooney   at the  end    and  I am sad that he died.  He  passed away   the  day of my softball  torment  last year.


 So  On  sunday when     I was   on  face book and someone  posted that 60 minutes  would speak  about CP  I   do what  I normally do. I  sneak  into my parent's  room and  watch   TV as was the  case  Sunday  night.  I  really  like  how  60 minutes so far has  portrayed  people  with  disabilities   up  until this  point  but     the piece was a  exception.


    The way   the reporter  talked about  CP painted a   very sad  picture  of   my disability.  The  story starts  out  with   phrases   such as   "hopeless  disease."  Sorry  but   I  have    CP  and no it is  not  hopeless nor a disease, its  a disability.I  invite  anyone  who thinks  that Cp  is  hopeless   to come  spend  some time at my  place.   Laughter  is  a common thing in  my house  and  I  have  played sports gone to school   attend  college.      I  am  really funny .  yes  I have a disability  but  it is not the  end the world.


 This  brings up the  whole point  of the   article. The article talks  about wanting to "cure"  CP and   other disabilities  using  illegal stem sells.   I  find it  wrong because  I have  CP and  I  do not  want to be cure of CP.  It is apart of  who  I  am .     It is not  hopeless  nor is it the end of the world.  My advice to  parents of  kids   with CP is     step  back   take a deep  breath  and do not    go to other countries   to get stem cells  because    having  CP is not that  bad.  As  of    January  2012 stem  cells can not help  Cp   yet    CP is not  hopeless.  I  am  living proof that therapy   and lots  of  love  will do  wonders. For whatever   reason I  have  disabilities    and you  know  what   I am  normal. This  is  my  normal.

4 comments:

Shasta said...

Nice. Rock on.

Cheryl said...

Love it! I certainly agree with you 100%. CP is not hopeless or helpless. I always love to connect with people who HAVE CP, especially since my daughter is only 3. :)

Junior said...

great point. Hey I wanted to remind you that you won the giveaway on Junior's blog a couple months ago. I let you know at the time but with the little man sick never followed up to be sure you saw the post and email.
email me and I will get it in the mail asap. hjoythom@yahoo.com

Makenzies Miracle said...

I do not know you but you sound like an amazing young woman. My daughter Makenzie has CP after choking on a cracker 4 years ago. She is an amazing little girl who is doing well. This afternoon I received a comment from you to check out this post so I did. I want you to know that CP or no CP I love my little girl. We chose to take her to have Stem Cell therapy not because we don't love who she is with CP but to try and give her a better quality of life. It looks like you can walk and talk umong many other things like eat and sit on your own. Makenzie can not and I am guessing that if she had a say so she would like to be able to do those things too. Stem Cell Therapy did give her a much better quality of life in the long run. She no longer vomits many times a day. Her eyes work better which allows her to talk with her talker and she is learning along with her peers in school and she is learning to drive a power chair. These are all things she could not do before stem cells. I do not think that this therapy is the right choice for everyone but I do think it was the right choice for my daughter and it was not illegal to do as long as we traveled. You are right.... there is always hope and stem cells was part of my daughters. Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration.