Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Learining to Read part one : intro

 This hurts  my hard sounds  a  three  year old can say :(
      Let me  start out by saying that I love to read.    It should be no surprise.  These next few  post   will be about how  I learned to  read.  I   read   in a way dispute  never learning  phonics .    Well  not in the traditional way.  I  know what the letters  are supposed to sound like  but   producing those sounds is a different  story.  This  is  due to   Cerebral  Palsy.  Not all   people with CP   have speech  issues.    They  range  from   no problems to   using     speech  devices to  talk.     I  would  classify myself  as   somewhere in the middle.    I  do not need a speech device  but sometimes people do not understand me.  This  can get  frustrating.   I do  a lot  of substituting   which  means that    I  would  say cat   as  "tat"   or  dog as  dod.  I  also  do this  for L's and R  which  i  replace with a  W.   Let me  make this  really  clear the reason  for my lack of substituting sounds has nothing to  do with intelligence. I am  smart  just see  Monday's  post.  Now   I hear myself fine  and understand myself  100 percent of  the time.   Now this sounds contradictory but despite being able to  hear    all the sounds    so  I can sound out  words  I am a bad speller. Not sure why  this is    but  I  would like to be a better speller and I want to  take a spelling class in the  near future.    Anyway  this  might seem  that  I  would be  a uphill battle to  make me understand  reading  but  it really wasn't.( at least that's not what I remember) 


        I  hated  learning  phonics  for me   it was  a reminder to me that I was 'different' in fact  I  remember being told that by my teachers,     For parents of kids  with articulation  delays  do not stress  phonics.  It is helpful to know phonics  but  it is not required.   Model the  sounds  read to your kids   but  do not  stress   hearing the phonics  from them.    People  who  are non verbal can still read as well  as long as people    know how to teach them.



 Here is a school that    proves this








 got image  from

chart http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sound_dev_chart.jpg
bookwormhttp://www.sewterific.com/images/BacktoSchool/BTSBookwormLove.jpg

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

A phonics question:

Do newsreaders in Arkansas say cerebral palsy so that C sounds out its letter, rather than "serebral palsy" or "zerebral palsy" (this is "as heard" from an English/Australian rendering)?

(I did know what they were referring to. It was a very unusual pronunciation to my ear).

Hope you do take a spelling class, AZ. I do think your spelling has improved over the years you've been writing this blog. Exposure and practice!

The steps/sequences of learning are roughly these (see something like LDOnline for something more detailed):

Input
Processing
Output

The Goodman table was very interesting. And I loved the caption: "My hard sounds a 3-year-old can say" (if he/she is in the 85% sample, and not in the 15% sample).

Did Oral Motor Therapy help you as a child and an adolescent?

On Your Mark Academy is a really good place because it emphasises movement and high expectations and high-interest learning.

There are probably some non-phonic reading schools out there.

I noticed a lot of larger-sized manipulatives were used for letters and numbers.

Learning to read in school probably makes a significant percentage of people think/know they're different.

In the matter, it's not how you learnt to read. It's that you learnt to read and that you continue to use it in your daily life.

R Gerholt has lots of good videos, like Alyssa and the spelling bee.

R Gerholdt's videos. He is a member of United Cerebral Palsy